[ODE] Balance of torque

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 3 08:46:04 MST 2004

I'm simulating the motion of a heavy rope spinning about a vertical
axis.  The rope is represented as a number of rods connected by
ball-and-socket joints, and the two ends are connected to the vertical
axis by hinge joints.  The motion is driven by external applied forces
on the rods.  A constant rotational speed is maintained by suitable
application of a resisting torque (applied as a force in each timestep)
on one of the rods that is hinged to the axis (the other is free).

The behaviour looks fine, but there is a discrepancy in the torque
balance.  Since the rotational speed is held almost constant, the net
torque of the applied forces, averaged over one rotation, should match
the resisting torque, averaged in the same way.  (There is no air
drag.)  In fact these two average torques are roughly in the ratio 43:38.

I'd like to know the explanation for this discrepancy, and also if there
is a way to reduce it.

Thanks
Gib