[ODE] Pushing through collisions

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Apr 29 15:21:46 MST 2004

> > Let me be more specific in my questioning: Exactly how big does the
> > solver make the forces, based on penetration depth and mass? Does it
> > also look at other values? (linear velocity, for example)

> for each contact, the solver creates just the right amount of force to
> cancel out the velocity of the contact point along the contact normal,
> plus a little bit of extra velocity to push out interpenetrations. the
> body's original velocity and mass affects the force that is applied, but
> should *not* affect the resulting velocity that you get in the next time
> step. the penetration depth is proportional to how much extra correcting
> velocity is applied.

Great! The only bit of data needed to complete the answer is: what is
the proportional constant used with the penetration depth to get the
moving-outward velocity? I'm assuming mass is also multiplied into the
impulse to make it so that the velocity is the same no matter what the
mass.

Just pointing me at a line of code where this impulse is derived for
the contact joint would also answer the question :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+