[ODE] Composite Geom and Joints

Don Burns don at andesengineering.com
Fri Apr 16 11:30:13 MST 2004

ODEers,

I discovered ODE a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the fruits of the
labor put into it for a while now.  Thanks to the authors and contributors
for a great project.

I'm developing a WWI flight simulator.  I've described my airplane models
as a composite geometry made of spheres placed at each of the contact
points (wheels, tail, wing-tips, nose, etc.).  This seems to work well for
doing collisions.

I spent the last couple of days trying to get familiar with using joints
as I want to add wheels to the model.  I started by modifying the
test_buggy example.  After several experiments, it seems that I can't get
joints to work properly with a body that has composite geometry.  So, for
example, if I replace the box in the example with a composite geometry
model, it seems that the composite geometry no longer works in collisions.
The result I see is my airplane "hanging" from its wheels beneath the
surface of the ground.  The wheels (joints) are intersecting correctly,
but not the rest of the geometry.

A couple of questions, then.

1) Am I using the right approach in describing my models with composite
geometry?  (Seemed the fastest course of action without having to learn
how to make my own geometry).

2) How do I get joints to work with my composite geometry?

Thanks!

-don