[ODE] documentation initiative

Luke Palmer luke at luqui.org
Sun Apr 11 21:31:48 MST 2004

Mike Wuetherick writes:
> sure there is cross-platform development going on, but if you remove the
> one major platform that EVERYONE has to build on - if you are creating
> commercial games you are building for visual studio on windows pretty
> much - you remove a major source of difficulties for people getting
> started with the engine.

Have you ever done any cross-platform development?  Yeah, everyone is
using windows, but a whole different everyone is using linux, OSX, etc.
And you have no idea how difficult it is (many times impossible) to make
something cross-platform without a pre-build step.

It didn't take us much to build on windows, all you have to do is read
the Wiki, download GNU make (they point you right to it, and there's no
"install", just a copy), run a batch file, and type "make".  Simple
stuff for any programmer.  It'd certainly be nice if the main page would
point more directly to that document, however.

And it was very nice for our cross-platform game that ODE was friendly
for the other operating systems.  It uses a Makefile, so we can include
it right in our tree and hack the internals to our heart's content, and
it builds nicely right along with the rest of our project.

But I was disappointed that there was no pre-build library and header
set for the releases.  This should be something to look into, but don't
expect it to be maintained in CVS.  That's a pain in the ass for people
not working on windows, which a lot of developers (contrary to your
claims) do.  Just the releases should be fine.

Luke