[ODE] documentation initiative

Mike Wuetherick mike at gekidodesigns.com
Sun Apr 11 19:59:41 MST 2004

i disagree completely - we have integrated literally about a dozen
different open-source packages into our game engine over the course of
several years of development, and NONE have flat-out stumped me like ODE
has.

if i can't just open a project or workspace, point the compiler at the
proper includes & lib files then something is wrong with how the project
is built.

i hate to say it but it's true.

the whole 'config.h' setup and cryptic build process is a MAJOR source
of the problems with ODE, and as was pointed out previously, getting rid
of the whole 'prebuild' steps, etc will remove a lot of the 'getting
started' issues that are present.

what percentage of the games market is windows-based?  how many
developers in that market use visual studio?

sure there is cross-platform development going on, but if you remove the
one major platform that EVERYONE has to build on - if you are creating
commercial games you are building for visual studio on windows pretty
much - you remove a major source of difficulties for people getting
started with the engine.

i haven't even gotten to the point of looking at the ODE internals and
how to 'use' it because i haven't gotten past the building step.

i know i'm not the guru that most of you guys seem to be,
programming-wise, but i'm also not unfamiliar with setting up and
integrating other libraries.  ode is the ONLY one i've run into this
situation with.

just my 2 1/2 bits.

cheers
mike w