[ODE] ODE in a FPS

Dave Kerr aidave at telus.net
Sat Sep 27 13:47:41 MST 2003

Hello,

I'm currently trying to use ODE for a first person shooter (Pulse,
http://gls-fps-3d.sourceforge.net)

Turns out that there are alot of problems with this.  Using ODE for a simple
character is not the best choice.  I'd like to have a character that does
not fall over, that can turn and move around, represented by a cube or
cylinder.  I've tried calling SetQuaternion(0,0,0,0) on my player body every
round, which acheives this effect, but causes problems with ground friction
depending on the direction of movement (sliding, wont move, etc).  Is there
a public solution to this problem?

I've been contemplating another approach: build a simple physics system
(position + velocity) to control the characters, and tie it into ODE.  To do
this, I would have an ODE body's position+velocity constantly mapped to the
characters position+velocity.  As this object moved thru the ODE space it
would collide with other objects.  Some forces could be mapped back to the
character physics system.
Any thoughts on this approach?

cheers,

Dave