[ODE] Replying through web-interface

Konstantin Voloshin volk6 at mail.ru
Thu Sep 25 16:40:24 MST 2003

Hello

I noticed an attempt to enable replying to the correct thread via link
at the top of the message page (undertaken near 10-th of september).

The example of the link I'm talking about is
mailto:ode%40q12.org?Subject=%5BODE%5D%20Funny%20Friction%20problems&In-Repl
y-To=3F71A9D4%40ntserver-e2w2.tcd.ie

"In-Reply-To" field there seems to identify "Message-ID" of the message you
want to reply to.

I currently see 2 problems with this attempt, which prevent it from working
as fine as I could imagine ;)

1.
Currently "In-Reply-To" field seems to identify _not_ the message you are
looking at, but its parent message. This has a side effect in that
"In-Reply-To"
field is left blank for top-thread-level messages. I think, this can be
considered as a bug, and the community may benefit from fixing it.

2.
My mail client (Outlook Express 6) doesn't recognize "In-Reply-To" field.
To make it reply correctly
In-Reply-To=3F71A9D4%40ntserver-e2w2.tcd.ie
should be replaced with
References=<3F71A9D4%40ntserver-e2w2.tcd.ie>
(angle brackets are essential)
It would be really nice to have this replacement made by the server
(hope it doesn't inflict any damage on existing mail-clients, which
probably work fine with current link-format).

VolK