[ODE] trimesh collision

nearaz nearaz at interamotion.com
Sat Sep 6 08:49:02 2003

> I would like to collide two trimesh geoms, but I found that in the colliders
> matrix, the trimesh-trimesh collider function is set to 0. Is there
> any easy way to add/turn on that to ode, or shall I write the whole
> thing for myself? Mesh collision is one of the most important parts
> of my application, so somehow I must make it work :)

I've written the same answer probably a week ago or so:

Mesh-mesh collision is easy (OPCODE in ODE does that perfectly). Contact
finding (point, normal, depth) is hard (and in general case, next to
impossible in realtime).

While you can certainly find approximate collision point and normal, the
penetration depth still remains. And for physics, even the small errors in
approximation (which are inevitable) can screw up your sim :(

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/