[ODE] loose octrees and ODE

Joakim Eriksson jme at snowcode.com
Mon Oct 20 09:52:08 MST 2003

> Has anyone considered using loose octrees with ODE? Would ODE
> benefit from
> it? or is ODE's current space partitioning scheme is better?
>
> I am making a 3D space game and I was thinking of using loose
> octrees to  make it easy for ships to detect each other with radar.

ODE's hash space is very good. However as with everything it depends
on your world. How much is moving? How fast is it moving? How big
is the largest object? How small is the smallest object? How many
static object do you have?
All these questions changes what type of broad phase collision
detection you should use however ODE's hash space should do in most
cases.
So my advice is to go with ODE's hash space for the time beeing
and when you start to notice that it's taking too much time start
to check why it's taking so much time and then possibly change it
into something else that might fit your application better.

Regards
 Joakim E. - http://www.snowcode.com