[ODE] ANN : Update ODE distribution!!!

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Fri Oct 17 14:04:23 MST 2003

Nguyen Binh wrote:
>      Russ! What's your ideas on an SSE code part for ODE? My 2 cents
>      is use another #define ODE_USE_SSE in config. Is it OK?

I know you're not asking me, but personally I like any code
that makes ODE faster.  However, without some sort of runtime
architecture auto-detection (or at least a switch) it's of
limited practical use for *me* -- for example, I don't want my compiled
app to only run correctly on SSE-using processors, but it'd
be nice if ODE could use SSE on processors where SSE is available.
The idea of distributing multiple copies of ODE (with / without
SSE/3dnow/whatever) with an app and run-time linking ODE dynamically
doesn't particularly appeal, but might be doable (but isn't at all
attractive while the performance benefits aren't large).

If I could choose between algorithmic improvements (ie. stepfast) and
implementation improvements (ie. SIMD-ing) I'd usually prefer the
algorithmic improvements, being of universal appeal -- but SIMD-ing
of ODE seems inevitable at some point. :)

Regards,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam at gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"i18n ought to be abbreviated i2n to make it quicker to write!"-snout