[ODE] motors ans sliders

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Oct 8 08:28:03 MST 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Martin C. Martin wrote:

> > So as I found amotors very handy, I would like to know if the same
> > interface for sliders joints will ever be available.
>
> There is, it's built into the slider joint.

I have to admit I haven't used the AMotor joint, but if I understand it
correctly, a motoized slider joint is not analogous.  Two bodies connected
with a slider have only one unconstrained degree of freedom between them.
A "linear motor" (LMotor) would only remove one degree of freedom (linear
motion along the motor's axis), leaving the other five degrees
unconstrained.

I proposed linear motors a while back, but haven't implemented them and
have no plans to do so.  I still think it would be kind of cool, though.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA