[ODE] crash on exit

Japhet Stevens jcstevens.news at gmx.net
Fri Oct 3 15:03:22 MST 2003

First I want to say that I'm very excited about using this engine in my
simulation.  I found out about it after downloading Truck Dismount and
being inspired by the bone-crunching dynamics.  I plan to use it in a
simulation of behavioral evolution of animals, for which I will need
physics if the animals decide to fight each other.

I am having a problem right from the start however, and I wanted to see if
someone could assist me.  I'm using MSVC6, with ode version 0.039.  I've
compiled it using gnu make with the msvc makefile.  DirectX is my graphics
library.  The problem is that when the application exits, it also
crashes.  I traced the crash to "dAllocDontReport" which calls
"dMemoryReportPrinter::~dMemoryReportPrinter, which calls
"dAllocDontReport" and it crashes on an fprintf in there, basically a write
error (could not write to memory location XXXXXX).  This happens just by
linking my executable to the library, not even calling any of the ODE
functions!

I know this sounds like too weird of a bug to even try to help me with, but
I have one interesting clue to add:  When the complier links, it tells me
this: warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs;
use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Of course turning off default libraries give me 800+ errors since
everything uses the default libraries.  Just adding "/NODEFAULTLIB:library"
to the project options arguments gives me nothing... so I'm probably
missing something very obvious here.  What could it be?