[ODE] Car Sim Steering Causing Instability

Amund Børsand amund at offroad.no
Thu Oct 2 21:33:44 MST 2003

smythst <smythst at tcd.ie> skreiv:

> So the later works for my sim. What I don't understand is why? What's wrong
> with adding a torque to the rear wheels? It's what an engine does in real
> life, and it worked for a straight line in my sim (and as I said earlier
> steering worked as long as you didn't turn more than 180 deg).

Nope, the engine puts torque between the car and the wheels. What you
are doing here is just adding torque to the wheels, from the world or
something. The direction also don't change if you turn the car, that's
why it flips over. Additionally, you shouldn't use the addtorque
functions that way, unless you really know what you are doing, they ruin
the simulation because ODE don't know what's going on and the forces you
add don't "fit" into the simulation.

The buggy example uses something called "angular motors", which is the
correct way to do this. These add the right forces and torques to the
bodies involved, i.e. both the car and the wheels. Trust it, it works! :)

--
Amund Børsand <amund £ offroad . no>