[ODE] Energy Loss in Collision (now OT:Sound)

DjArcas djarcas at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:58:29 MST 2003

Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to attach sound to physics events.
The way I've done it for games in the past is to use the magnitude of the
impulse in a collision to determine the 'size' (volume, pitch, sample) of
the sound. You should be able to get that from your callback procedure that
generates the contact points. You WILL need to damp down the number of
sounds you get, and you will need to throw away small events, or you'll end
up triggering hundreds of sounds.

As for scraping, the way I did it on Burnout2 was to record a sample of X
frames. If the car was colliding for more than Y frames out of X, the scrape
sound played. If it was less, the scrape sound faded out. If the number of
colliding frames then got above the threshold, start fading the scrape sound
back up again.

Adam