[ODE] Flywheels

Brian Clarkson brianclarkson at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 18 18:03:29 MST 2003

Martin

I thought the bendy wheels problem was associated with the hinge constraint.
I don't plan to use a hinge. I was going to set gravity at zero and let the
flywheel (gyro) spin on what ever axis it needs. This would mean I don't use
any joints not even for collision. Well maybe one ball joint would be
needed. I am favouring a scalling of the rotation speed. This needs to be
selected relative to the rpm of the flywheel. I think the 90 deg point is
critical for precession. This is where it has most effect. I think scalling
is not as easy as I am thinking. Is the radius of gyration a function of rpm
or is it constant. I can't remember.

Brian..