[ODE] More speed???

Flavien Brebion f.brebion at vrcontext.com
Fri Nov 7 13:35:15 MST 2003

The reasons NOT to use DX have been mentionned before:

- "very good and fast maths libraries on a windows platform". You said
it yourself: Windows. This means developping a specific solution for
Linux or other OSes, as i guess D3DX is not available for those. So
since you'll be developping a specific solution anyway, why just not
make it portable and use this specific solution for windows too ?

- not inlining calls for a maths library is going to have a major
impact on performance, cancelling the benefits of using D3DX in the
first place.

DirectX has components for 2D and 3D graphics, user input, sound
and musics, networking, videos, etc.. but nothing for physics or
collisions. It does not make sense to use a small component like
the D3DX maths library while 99% of the rest of the API will not be
used at all. If you really want to use a 3rd party optimized maths
library, i'm sure it's possible to find a good, open-source and
portable alternative on the net. Just my opinion.

F. Brebion