[ODE] Re: Simulating Wheels

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Nov 7 19:24:41 MST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Amund [ISO-8859-1] Børsand wrote:

> No but seriously, it never seems like anyone's interested in realism in
> these commercial games, even though their claiming it's totally real and
> so on, and they put lots of hours into making the visuals look very
> realistic... but that doesn't help me if there is no engine, no
> adjustable differentials, no adjustable brake bias, not proper wheels [...]

The thing that bugs me most about PC games is the steering.  Without a
wheel that turns a couple revolutions from lock to lock, the steering is
either way too sensitive at high speeds or can't make decent turns at low
speeds.

> I wonder why nobody's interested in selling a realistic sim, is it
> because it would be too difficult to drive for the little kids buying
> the stuff [...]

Most of the consumers probably wouldn't notice the difference.  Then
again, part of the problem might be that half of the developers wouldn't
notice and/or don't care.  Difficulty is probably a factor too, I'm not
sure how interested the average game consumer is in finessing a car around
a corner... it distracts them from blowing stuff up.  :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA