[ODE] More speed???

Oles V. Shishkovtsov oles at gsc-game.kiev.ua
Fri Nov 7 15:43:57 MST 2003

Hello Oles,

OVS> Hello Aras,

OVS> Friday, November 7, 2003, 12:28:08 PM, you wrote:

>>> NO NO NO!!!
>>> please, keep in mind that ODE is 'ONLY' the PHYSIC ENGINE.
>>> So, any reference to a graphic API must be avoided (exept for exemple,
>>> testing, ...) But not in the core!
>>> Please, keep DirectX out of this!

AP>> Well, D3DX math library isn't tied to any graphics part at all. It doesn't
AP>> even know about any D3D device. But probably it isn't the best solution...

OVS> And it's slow, as well, even on SSE/3Dnow! enabled CPUs.
OVS> Typical operation consists of:
OVS>         * push arguments
OVS>         * [static] call
OVS>         * [static] jump
OVS>         * ...calculation...
OVS>         * return

Just looked, at the asm, this is not "[static] jump", it's "jump int
the table", so, even slower :)

I've strongly against using D3DX in ODE, especially in performance
critical code. Conditional compilation and larger-grade performance
optimized functions is much better, IMHO.

BTW. This is for dx9.0 summer update SDK
P.S. And I think all of this is just a job for compilers, but they
aren't mature enought at SIMDizing, yet :(

--
Best regards,
 Oles V. Shishkovtsov
 oles at gsc-game.kiev.ua