[ODE] Joints flying off?

Karl Meissner karl at meissnersd.com
Fri May 30 05:14:01 2003

Hi I am new to ODE so I might be making a newbie mistake.

I am trying to set up a simple situation.  I want to have a 1x1x1 square cube that has a 1 meter
pole attached  to the center of its top face.     The problem I have is that the pole’s bottom
does not stay attached to the cube....it drifts away after collisions.

 I create the cube and pole,
  set their positions so the bottom of the pole just touches the cube
create a hinge
attach the two bodies to the hinge

Then I run the sim.    The cube and pole drop down and hit the ground and then the pole drifts
away. Visually the pole is affected by the cube but it does not keep its bottom in a fixed
relative position.

Also, if I don’t set the anchor point, the bodies spin like mad.

I have tried setting the various joint parameters such as CPM to 1 or 0 and the stop parameters.
These seem to help somewhat but still the pole does not stay attached.
It is particularly bad if I create a bunch of these bodes and cause them to collide with each
other.

So I guess my question is there a way to attach a joint so the pole will not 'drift'.
Is it some combination of hinge parameters?

Karl