Re[2]: [ODE] contrib/msvc7

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue May 20 21:50:02 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Nguyen Binh wrote:

> I'm writting a doc helping people to understand how to make a VC++
> project of ODE properly...I just have a small problem to determine
> what are belongs to the old (collision code) and what are new.

The new collision stuff resides in files with names like
collision_kernel.cpp, collision_space.cpp, and so on.  It also has
functions with names like CollideBoxPlane, where the old code used names
like CollideBP.

> Hey Nate, you choose to use old collision code in your VC7 prj
> distributed with ODE 0.35, Right? Is the reason is to work with
> tri-collider?

The previous VC7 projects used code collision code simply because the new
stuff didn't exist when I made the projects. :-)  The projects I just
updated in CVS use the new code.

> > Bad news: I don't think the tri-collide stuff will actually work.  I'm
> > still looking into this (albeit with all the fervor of a snail on valium).
>
> I have made it compiled ( with new collision code ) but it seems
> only work for sphere, i.e when I drop a box, it run through the tri
> mesh, only a sphere interact properly with tri-mesh.

Interesting observation...  I had only played with boxes on mesh terrain
so far.  However, I just dropped a sphere on the terrain, and it is
rolling around nicely.

When a box collides with a mesh triangle, the tri-collider uses ODE's
existing box-and-plane collision code to generate the contacts.  Perhaps
the new CollideBoxPlane doesn't work quite the same way as the old
CollideBP function did?

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA