[ODE] Re-inventing the wheel

Shaul Kedem shaul_kedem at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 08:35:02 2003

Ted,

> >  - Different forums: newbies, algorithms,...

> No, splitting forums up doesn't help anything.  Then
> people just ask questions in all of the forums and
information gets
> spread out even worse than it already is.  People
who put in good
> information need to update the wiki too, that's
probably where we should
> focus.

Splitting forums has some advantages, if done right,
first of all, I wouldn't post a question about linker
error in "algorithm" forum, second, users should know
where to post what - and that is a matter of
education. if someone will post a basic question in an
advanced forum, RTFM would be the answer, on the other
hand having some sort of an entry level place for
questions is something that no one has now - some kind
people help, less kind (and probably ones who helped
before) just say "read the faq/wiki/RTFM" and might
drive the user away. so having a small number of
different groups might be good. btw, if a "forward"
functionality is present on the forum, simply move the
post to the appropriate forum and you are done with
it.

> >  - A tutorial: part of the "ODE for dummies"
> should be
> > a tutorial(s?) giving the basics and maybe the
> more
> > advanced stuff later on.
> >
> >  - Having some sort of common grounds: the
> > mathematical bases , the physical bases and
> whatever
> > is needed are very important as well.
>
> More things that could be added to the wiki.

Yes, the wiki is good, only lacking some things right
now.

> Just my two cents,

I wonder, do we have 10 cents by now ?

Shaul