[ODE] python bindings?

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Sat May 17 07:44:01 2003

At 11:52 16.05.2003 +0100, Paul Rudin wrote:
>I see from the list archives that a couple of people have experimented
>with making a python interface to Ode. Is there anything that more or
>less works that's available for download somewhere?

I finally took the time and packaged together what I have so far and put it
online for those who already want to play around with it:

http://i31www.ira.uka.de/~baas/pyode/

You can download a Windows binary for Python 2.2.x or the sources. I'm
using Pyrex to write the wrapper code, but the generated C file is also
included (but then you have to modify the setup.py script so that it
doesn't call pyrex anymore).

To use the module you have to be familiar with the C API of ODE. However,
in the Python version all the stuff is wrapped into classes again. Each
entity is a class on its own (e.g. each joint type has its own class) and
the methods are just the ODE functions that are available for that type of
object.
For now, please use the Python help() command to inspect the classes. A
list of the module contents is available on the above page.

Unfortunately, I don't have a simple example program yet.

If you run into problems using the module, feel free to ask me or post a
message here.

- Matthias -