[ODE] re: hw

Billy Zelsnack billy_zelsnack at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 20:56:02 2003

> >I doubt it will happen. Games are the only thing that drives these types
of
> >markets. 1Ghz of cpu power dedicated to physics is plenty of power for
most
> >anything you would want to do in a game for today. By the time game
> >developers figure out how to use that up, there will be 3Ghz of cpu
laying
> >around idling.
>
> >-billy
>
> Time and time again arguments along the lines of "why on earth would you
> ever need all that....." have proved to be quite laughable in hindsight,
> especially in the computer industry.

I didn't say that. I said I doubt it would happen. This is something that is
going to be driven by the market. Game developers have to live in a near
lowest common denominator world. Targetting a moving CPU and GPU is hard
enough, throw in a PPU (or whatever), yikes. Anyway, I think CPU power is
growing fast enough to handle this.

-billy