[ODE] Collisions via Minkowski sums

John DeWeese deweese at ict.usc.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:53:02 2003

It would be a good idea to say what your purposes are, and why you must
roll your own. Perhaps someone else can lend some insight to the
original problem. Tell! Tell!

Anyway, Minkowski hulls have some significant limitations. First, they
are static, which is probably not a problem. Second, since the
Minkowsky hull is a pair-wise algorithm, so you must compute a new hull
for every possible shape you collide with. Third, the shapes must be
static, that is they cannot rotate. That's a pretty serious limitation!
Finally, computing a Minkowsky hull in 3D is a rather difficult
algorithm to code and get accurate. Maybe you can find some code that
is already fast and accurate, though.

BTW, when I say Minkowski hull, I'm referring to the hull operation
that occurs after you clip the Minkowsky sum.

BTW2, ODE can take multiple contact points, so if you find a
penetration region, perhaps you should put several contact points
randomly around that region instead of summarizing the contact with one
point.