[ODE] FAQ? unresolved external symbol

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Wed Mar 26 06:37:02 2003

It looks like you're not linking against the ODE and drawstuff libraries.
I've added an entry to the FAQ to cover this:

* Q I get an error during linking, "unresolved external symbol."

* A Basically, you need to learn how to include more than one source file
in your project. This is a very basic thing in programming, the manual
will tell you how to do it, as will almost any book on programming that
describes your compiler. The short version is, do a "find in files" or
grep for the symbol that's unresolved to find out which source file its
defined in. Don't include any leading underscores in your search. Then,
make sure that file is included in your project. It can be included in one
of two ways: either directly, the way you include the source files you've
written, or as part of a "dynamic linked library" or "shared library." If
you're using Microsoft Visual C++ on windows and you're new to
programming, you'll probably have more luck if you ditch the makefile and
use the MSVC project.

- Martin