[ODE] Creature Evolution input

whitt013 whitt013 at bama.ua.edu
Wed Mar 12 17:41:01 2003

One of these days I'll remember to change the address....
-------------------------------------
Hey Henri,

There really is no way to tell you what "suitable" inputs to the NN are....
because they are dependent on so many external factors.  Especially fmax and
velocity.  Things like the amount of gravity in your system, the size and
density of your bodies, even the texture you use to cover your ground
(different ground textures make your model appear smaller or larger, which
makes their velocities seem different).  According to the docs, you should try
to keep all your units around 1.0.  But I tried that and had to make gravity
-50, density .01, and fmax 100+ to keep everything from looking like it's
floating around or moving in slow motion.  My suggestion: make a simple system
that is something like what you hope to evolve, play with the numbers until it
looks the way you want it, then use those numbers as starting points and
evolve your weights from there.

David

>===== Original Message From "Henri Hakl" <henri@cs.sun.ac.za> =====
>Hi :)
>
>I'm doing the ever popular evolving of AI control over an articulated model -
the question is what are suitable inputs to the Neural Network? (For each
body-segment input: position, relative position, velocity, force, orientation,
other stuff...?)