[ODE] dHasGeomMoved() ??

Chris Brodie Chris.Brodie at macquarie.com
Tue Mar 11 02:21:02 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E7AF.4EE0CD66

Yep, I know I made up that function. How do I do this though?

Problem: My rendering Octree stores the location of all of the worlds
objects. If an object has moved it might need to be repositioned in to
another octant.

Solutions?

All I can think of right now :
-exhaustive search of objects and comparison against their last know
positions. This seems silly though as the smallest change will trigger a
check against the octant bounds to see it is still contained.
-Call out from the CollisionFunc to a central list of dirty objects. These
objects will reposition themselves in the Octree.

Is there any easier option I've overlooked?

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Bank.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E7AF.4EE0CD66

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>dHasGeomMoved() ??</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yep, I know I made up that function. How do I do this tho=
ugh?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Problem: My rendering Octree stores the location of all o=
f the worlds objects. If an object has moved it might need to be reposition=
ed in to another octant.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Solutions?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>All I can think of right now :</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-exhaustive search of objects and comparison against the=
ir last know positions. This seems silly though as the smallest change will=
 trigger a check against the octant bounds to see it is still contained.</F=
ONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Call out from the CollisionFunc to a central list of dir=
ty objects. These objects will reposition themselves in the Octree.</FONT><=
/P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is there any easier option I've overlooked?</FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
NOTICE<BR>
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright =
material of Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended re=
cipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act=
 in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copi=
es of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any emails o=
r any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own =
and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Bank. <BR>
</FONT></CODE>
</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E7AF.4EE0CD66--