[ODE] I'm confused....

whitt013 whitt013 at bama.ua.edu
Tue Mar 4 22:38:01 2003

I've been playing with dJointFeedback, trying to get breaking joints to
working somewhat realistically, and I noticed something odd.  The amount of
force a hinge exerts on body 1 is roughly negative (usually exactly) of what
it exerts on body 2.  However, the amount of torque it exerts on each body is
nowhere near.... Shouldn't a joint exert equal torques in opposite direction
(especially in freefall)?  Isn't that one of Newton's laws?  Or is this one of
the inaccuracies of ODE?  Or am I dumber than I thought in the world of
physics?

So what would make the best measure of whether this joint has taken "too much
stress"?  I was thinking something along the lines of the magnitude of the
torque vector, but now kind of wonder about that... and which one to use.  Any
input would be helpful.

Thanks,
David Whittaker