[ODE] Body creation speed

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 25 07:45:02 2003

DjA wrote:
> I've got a system where I create the world from a data file... I'm
> creating somewhere in the region of 200-400 boxes for the world, and
> this can take 4-8 seconds on my Althon XP 1800.
>
> Is there a reason this is so slow, and is there any way to speed it up?
> (All world objects are created attached to GeomID 0)

The problem surely isn't with ODE (unless perhaps you have
a debug build PLUS an incredible slow system malloc PLUS
turned on all the pessimization compiler options you could
think of), since object creation is an order (orders, probably)
of magnitude faster for me (hundreds of objects created in a
fraction of a second on a slow machine).

I suspect that you need to examine your application itself,
or possible your build tools.

Possibly, you have an ODE debug build that is spitting MANY
runtime warnings to your xterm/win32-console/whatever and
slowing things down that way.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"Responsible parents don't raise kids in West Virginia."