[ODE] unstable objects and the documentation

DjA djarcas at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 05:54:02 2003

Regarding stable simulations. What is the recommended size/density/mass of
objects?

I've been told that the maximum size should be around 1, and that your
universe should be around 0,0,0, as the solver needs to use the integer part
of the number for multiplying in, hence small = good. (I noticed this when I
realised the demo_buggy was TINY, a few centimetres long, next to my
'enormous' 3 metre car :)

I'm under the impression that the average density should be around one
(let's say 0.1 to 10.0) and both of those naturally lead to a mass of
'about' 1.0.

Am I correct in these assumptions? My only real issue with that is that a
gravity of -9.7 is next to useless, as car-sized objects end up 0.3 units
long, and thus gravity goes up to -97.0, to compensate.