[ODE] Do you have to use constant time steps?

Ed Resnick edresnick at game-developer.com
Thu Jun 19 03:51:02 2003

In the examples, the time step is set to 0.05 -- a constant value. Is this important? I really hope not, as I want to just use the time taken to render the last frame; this way physics are not dependent on framerate. With a constant value, things will happen faster if the framerate is high. I can't think why the time step would need to be constant but I know sometimes people's physics routines require it to be.

Since framerate is variable the time step would then be variable, by the way. It could be 0.05 one frame and 0.02 the next.

Free E-mail provided by the GDSE:
http://www.gdse.com/

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com, No Ads, 6MB, IMAP, POP, SMTP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag