[ODE] Collision constraint

Joakim Eriksson jme at snowcode.com
Wed Jun 18 01:42:02 2003

I have been looking a bit at the constraint system and there is one
thing I wonder.

As far as I can tell so does the constraint solver only return a force.
That force
is then applied to the bodies. So the force turns into a velocity that
changes the body.
Now what happens if a body is far into for example a plane. So the
penetration
depth is large. That would force the 'c' part of the constraint equation
to have a
large value (To fix the penetration). If we would set the ERP to 1.0
then he
would need to fix the error as quickly as possible. Now because we calc
a force
wont that mean that the body will get a velocity that forces it not only
to quickly
move out of plane but also to continue away from the plane? Or am I
missing
something?

If the problem actually does exists it would show in the following way.
A fast moving object with a coeffiecent of resitition that equals 0.0f
that collides
with for example a plane would still get a bounce effect. How high the
bounce would be would depend on the ERP and the penetration depth.

/Joakim E.