[ODE] gyroscopes

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Thu Jun 12 11:47:02 2003

Anselm Hook wrote:

> Interesting.  I wonder if it will work; I'd have to bet against it since:
>
>   http://science.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope2.htm
>
> in ODE the effects are instantaneous are they not?

Interactions may happen from one timestep to the next, e.g. the axle may
fall during the first timestep, but the small distance it falls may cause
a reaction during the next timestep.  That would be true if it
"communicated through position," i.e. if gravity caused the axle to
rotate, and the rotation *angle* caused the gyroscope effect.

You might need a really small timestep though.