[ODE] ODE as a complete FPS solution..

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 11 21:56:02 2003

> BTW, What were the cons of the latter method, an FPS player applying forces
> to ODE bodies? I can't think of too many issues there.

Late to the party here, but if you want to move the player by applying forces to
him, you have two issues:

1.  Control.  Users will be expecting velocity control more-or-less, forces give
acceleration control.  So you'll need a PID controller or something to bridge
that gap.  PID controllers are nothing to implement, but a PITA to tune.
2.  Forces are currently outside the main integration loop, as is sensing
(position and velocity).  They're basically Euler-integrated, and ergo so will
your PID controller.  This means poor accuracy and stability problems, worsening
at low frame rates.

In my own Great American FPS, I used this method for a while, but found the
control issues too troublesome for what I'm currently going for, so I'm now
using the velocity motors instead.

Say Russ, would force/torque motors be implementable?  I looked at what appeared
to be the relevant code but had a hard time seeing a clear velocty motor ->
force motor path.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.