[ODE] Moving body getting stuck along a wall...

Brian Bell bbell at legitimatefront.com
Fri Jun 6 11:39:02 2003

Hi guys,

I'm new to ODE, but we've just started using it in a foosball game.  I'm
having a problem where my foosball ball gets stuck along the walls
sometimes, and I'm not sure why...

I'm modeling the foosball arena as 5 planes, representing the 4 walls of the
table and the floor.  The ball is obviously a sphere.

I'm building my collision joints so as to make them very bouncy (to simulate
foosball), I have have bounce_vel set very, very low.  I've also tried
setting soft_cfm to a very small value with it enabled, and with it
disabled.

Still though, there are plenty of times where the ball will get stuck on a
wall when it seems like there's no reason for it to.  Am I doing something
horrendously wrong?  The simulation seems to work fine otherwise.  Is there
any way to guarantee that there will ALWAYS be a bounce?

Thanks in advance,
Brian