[ODE] fixed joints

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 30 00:16:02 2003

Fig TaTam wrote:
> I get the idea that fixed joints are unwanted in ODE. But why? They may
> be uninteresting for the simulation, but they can be useful in practical
> applications.

I think that there's a more recent reason that's popped up
for fixed joints being useful -- stepfast.  The stepfast
docs hint that multiple bodies tied together with fixed
joints may be a good way to use large mass ratios without
stepfast's instability in this area.  I can also envision
the interpropogation of correction between multiple bodies
modelling a single solid as simply being more stable and
correct in the general case, when using stepfast.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"...I generally use sea salt but you can get fancy with Celtic or