[ODE] Stupid newbie questions

Alexandre Tolmos ktulu at free.fr
Sat Jul 26 17:32:02 2003

Hi all,

I would like to use Ode in my own pet project but I have some concerns
about the collision detection mechanism.

 From what I understand collision detection is only run once during a
simulation step and makes no attempt at trying to prevent bodies from
interpenetrating.  How is the impact on the simulation quality and
numerical stability ?

In case of a fixed framerate simulation (let's say 60 or 50 Hz on a
console), would running twice the collision detection and dynamics with
a halfed timestep improve significantly the quality of the simulation
(at the expense of a heavier computational load) ? Or would it be more
efficient to implement a system where collision detection finds exact
contact points and simulation is stepped back then restarted from the
first collision time ?

Cheerz

Alex

-
Alexandre Tolmos
E-mail: ktulu@free.fr
ICQ: 92964905
-
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
-