[ODE] interesting comment from linus re bsd license

Anselm Hook anselm at hook.org
Tue Jul 8 14:37:01 2003

Interesting to see this comment for an argument against BSD style
licensing:

http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-1023765.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

q: Do you ever wish you'd opted for a BSD-style license instead of the
General Public License (GPL)? (Unlike the GPL, BSD-style licenses such as
those used for the Apache Software Foundation Web server and the FreeBSD
Unix offshoot permit open-source code to be made proprietary.)

linus: Absolutely not. I personally think that the BSD license is a dead
end for serious projects, since it inevitably results in forking with no
way to re-join if it becomes commercially viable. (Editors' note: Forking
is dividing a programming project into two different, overlapping
projects.)

Forking a project is in my opinion hugely important, since forks are how
all real development gets done, and the ability to fork keeps everybody
honest (i.e. if you don't do a good job and keep your users happy, they
can always fork the project and go on their own). But equally important is
the ability to join back forks, when/if some group finds the right
solution to a problem. And that's where the GPL comes in: you can really
think of the whole license as nothing more than a requirement to be able
to re-join a forked project from either side.