[ODE] Crash in test_boxstack on Mac OS X

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Sun Jul 6 07:08:01 2003

On Sunday 06 July 2003 02:23, Timothy J. Wood wrote:
>    I just did a clean build of the head of CVS with double-precision and
> debug mode.  I'm using the Dec 2002 Dev Tools package and the latest
> X11 from Apple.
>
>    If I run the box test and hold down 'x' so that a huge number of
> composite objects are created, I get a crash in a couple different
> places.  It seems fairly likely that ODE is blowing the stack with
> alloca usage.  Is this something that is known already?
>
> -tim
Yes, this is a known problem. With a high number of collisions ode creates a
huge matrix to solve it. This will surely crash your application. Windows
users will suffer the most from this problem because windows has a static
stack size.
If you want to simulate a large number of objects colliding you could use
stepfast. I managed to collide hunderds of balls with stepfast with no real
problems on my 2.6Ghz laptop (except overheating :-) )

Roel