[ODE] Faking a wheel joint

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Jul 2 22:44:02 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, DjA wrote:

> Is there some sort of algorithm to limits how fast the wheels should
> be turning? I'm sure timestep is involved somewhere.  Is it a factor
> of the hinge2 motor speed, too?

I think it's something you could express in 'radians per timestep' where
by radians I mean the amount the wheel body rotates on the axle axis.
The larger that gets, the more unpredictable the wheels get.  I doubt the
hinge motor speed matters, except in that it's coincidentally probably
pretty close to the true rotation speed.

> Would making your car with wheels twice as big help (as they only have
> to spin half as fast to get the car to go at the same speed)

I haven't tried that, but based on what little I know about the
problem, I'm pretty sure that would help.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA