[ODE] TriMesh support and OPCODE added to ODE core

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 2 12:17:01 2003

Erwin de Vries wrote:
> I could do this, but this is insane.

Licensing does tend to be.  But they define the parameters
that we have to work within.

I've been on the receiving end of this with some of the code in
GIMP recently, and it's something that has to be resolved BEFORE
code goes in (and the maintainer should be very wary).  We had
some license-incompatible code ride in the GIMP tree for years
before anyone noticed, and it was going to get pulled -- very
inconvenient not only because of loss of function of because
lots of other people had innocently re-used that code under the
GPL when the person who originally 'appropriated' the code and
mis-applied the GPL to it had no right to do so.  That's hard
to resolve after-the-fact.  Fortunately the original author
was tracked down and gave permission to amend his original
license terms -- but he would have been within is rights to
get upset and take someone to court instead.

 > Opcode itself uses parts of magic, and
> so do some other commercial or non-commercial products i've seen. I believe
> the guys from fastcar use some magic routines. Why is it you fear the magic
> licence so much?

It's simply not compatible with ODE's.  Fear is not a factor.

 > The author stated it was ok to include it in ode, given
> that noone would take everything out and exploit the magic functions
> commercially.

Thus, not compatible with ODE's license.  It is frustrating
that hackers generally don't care about such things until
they're bitten.  As it is, CVS-HEAD's code-base cannot be
distributed under the terms of its own license.  I am not
making this up.  I am not saying this because I love the
sound of my own voice.

 > Are you trying to sell its functions as is without added
> product? :-)

*sigh*   *throws business plan away :)*

> And by the way. I have modified the code to be ODE compatible.

What does that mean?

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"When I was young, I would break down and cry whenever mom made me