[ODE] TriMesh support and OPCODE added to ODE core

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 1 14:55:02 2003

christer_ericson@playstation.sony.com wrote:
> --- begin quote ---
> The main intent of my license agreement is item 1.c. in the
> Grant section.  I have no problem if folks use my source
> code in a commercial product.  What I do not want is for
> someone to download my source code and make *it*
> the commerical product--I expect that folks use the source
> code to build a "value-added" product.
> --- end quote ---

(IANAL, again)
Now again I don't want to be overly picky but this is very
important -- this simply isn't compatible with ODE's license
(or the GPL, or...), this is the clause that I was wished to
draw attention to earlier.

Subsuming Magic's software into ODE's license would be (as
staggeringly unlikely as such a thing would be in /practise/)
granting the user the right to strip everything in ODE right down
again until only Magic's code is left, and then selling the
result, since this is a right theoretically granted by ODE's
license.

Of course, I assume that ODE only uses a small fragment of
Magic's code in the first place, but it's not clear to me
from reading the license whether The Software refers to the
whole of Magic's package or also to any reasonable portion thereof
(it sadly looks like the latter, but my own interpretation isn't
worth any more or less than anyone else's; it's the legal wording
of the license that has to stand, which is not trivially subsumed
by ODE's BSD-ish license or almost any other standard license,
without an explicit grant or exception by the author which
is certainly not contained in the above quote).

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"When I was young, I would break down and cry whenever mom made me