[ODE] TriMesh support and OPCODE added to ODE core

christer_ericson@playstation.sony.com christer_ericson at playstation.sony.com
Tue Jul 1 14:27:01 2003

Adam D. Moss wrote:
> > And some code was taken from Magic, whose licence can be
> > obtained here http://www.magic-software.com/License/free.pdf
>
> Buuuuuut, this isn't actually compatible with the provisions
> of ODE's license (it stipulates an additional restriction --
> one that isn't likely to bother ODE's users, but only the
> author has the right to allow you to effectively remove that
> restriction by re-licensing the code with ODE's nice'n'liberal
> BSD-style license).

Since I know Dave Eberly, the man behind the Magic Software
source, I forwarded the above to him and asked him if he
wanted to comment. This is what he had to say:

--- begin quote ---
The main intent of my license agreement is item 1.c. in the
Grant section.  I have no problem if folks use my source
code in a commercial product.  What I do not want is for
someone to download my source code and make *it*
the commerical product--I expect that folks use the source
code to build a "value-added" product.
--- end quote ---

So, I believe there is no problem with including Magic
Software source in ODE.

Christer Ericson
Sony Computer Entertainment, Santa Monica