[ODE] Stack overflow

Marco Grubert mgrubert at conitec.net
Fri Jan 31 19:55:02 2003

> Anyhow, more testing may be in order, but it seems to me that the Windows
> stack overflow problem is really a non-issue.  Maybe there should be
> something in the FAQ suggesting that Windows users set the stack size
> linker option to the greater of these two values:
> 1) double your physical memory
> 2) a couple orders of magnitude bigger than you expect to need

(1) does not work because you do not know how much memory your users have,
unless you supply them with a utility like editbin to alter the EXEs memory
layout..

Using (2) is a workaround but does not really solve the problem. I am
experimenting with some Win32 commands to hopefully create somewhat more
reliable stack handling- I will get back to the list on that on Monday.
Also, going through a number of articles it seems that with WinXP you can
finally adjust stack space on-the-fly, but of course making your app or ODE
WinXP specific is not a good idea yet.

- Marco Grubert