[ODE] MM games (was "looks like i am moving on")

Mattias Fagerlund mattias at cambrianlabs.com
Thu Jan 23 05:24:01 2003

> I'm doing exactly this in my project.  Right now I am simulating remote
> vehicles as detected on the network and updating the position and
> velocities as perceived from the network at about 10 Hertz.  The
> downside of this is that you end up simulating everything locally that
> is on the network.  You only need to simulate the objects that are in
> view or in proximity to objects being simulated locally.  Eventually I
> will optimize my code to take advantage of this.

Who holds the "truth" about the objects, the server or one of the clients
(depending on which object)? (basically, is it peer-to-peer or client
server)

How do user interactions change the network state of the objects? If I
drive my car into a pile of boxes, what is propagated to the server, and
what is in turn propagated to the clients?

> For most objects (Doors, Tables, Grenades) you really cannot tell which
> ones are locally controlled and which are being updated from remote.

Any links to your project?

cheers,