[ODE] Reply-to?

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Sat Jan 4 06:34:02 2003

Adam Moravanszky [NovodeX] wrote:
>>On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, gl wrote:
>>>Sorry if this comes up all the time, but I much prefer a mailing list's
>>>reply-to to go back to the list rather than the author.  Is this set in
>>>stone?
>>
>>I hope it's not set in stone, since I am of the same opinion. :-)
>
> I believe it is set in stone by sourceforge.  We had the same problem a
> while ago on the gd-algorithms list, also hosted by sourceforge, but nothing
> could be done to convince them to change it.

It is a configuration option in Mailman.   It isn't set in stone at that
level (although it may be in the mind(s) of the list admin(s) as it
seems to be a politically charged issue with some).  And since the ODE
list isn't hosted by Sourceforge, there's no issue there. :)

Specifically .. in mailman, under 'general options', there's one that is:

     "Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is
      strongly recommended for most mailing lists."

That can be set to 'This list' rather than 'Poster' which would give the
behavior that is being requested.

  - Bruce