[ODE] magnetic/elastic joints

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Feb 20 23:24:01 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Rohan Mitchell wrote:

> I'm new to ODE, and considering using it for my project
> (realityundef.sf.net). After reading thru the docs, i wondered what
> the best way to simulate a magnetic, gravitational point or elastic
> force would be? I've read a few things about making springs using ERP
> and CFM values, but not anything specificly relating to this.

Ignore ERP and CFM for the moment.  Just compute a force and apply it to
each body.  For the force direction, use the direction from body to
"gravitational point.  For the magnitude, use the F = G * m1 * m2 / r * r
rule.  Tune G until you get results that feel right.  Or use the real G,
it's your universe. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA