[ODE] Bendy wheels, wacky wheels, rubber joints (with demo)

Michael Bailey mike-ba at cox.net
Thu Feb 20 22:22:01 2003

I've read about every message relating to the bendy wheels, wheels that fly
off, rubber joints, etc. etc.  Everyone seems to experience this problem but
no one has a good solution.   Nearest I can tell there's 2 different
problems here:

1. Wheels that turn really fast, and then fly off the car.  There's a semi
solution to this by using Russ's new functions dBodySetFiniteRotationMode()
and dBodySetFiniteRotationAxis().  I personally haven't experienced this
problem yet.  I've limited the speed of my wheels for now.

2. When the terrain (or whatever is under the wheels) force is applied to
the wheels (by hard turns) the wheels tend to move away from the car, as if
the joints were made of rubber.  Its pretty easy to even get the wheels to
bend all the way under the car body.  When the car comes to a stop the
wheels pop back into place.  This problem I am experiencing in a big way.
I've fussed with ERP's, CFM's, force values, frictions, to no end.  I can
make this problem a little better, but can't find a totally acceptable
solution.

I've made a little playable sample demo that can be seen here:
http://www.radishworks.com/Viewer/GameViewer.htm

Its the first sample ("Sample Car Demo").  Get the car moving and try a
sharp turn, watch the real wheels bend and tweak out of place.  The front
wheels experience the problem too, but to a lesser degree.  Kinda fun, but
not real useful.

Please, try this demo and let me know if this is what you all are seeing
too.  Has anyone solved this issue?  Did I miss the message with the magic
answer?

ODE is the best!  But somehow I need to solve this issue.

Thanks,
Mike