[ODE] XML

Chris Brodie Chris.Brodie at macquarie.com
Tue Feb 18 18:23:01 2003

> From: Anselm Hook [mailto:anselm@hook.org]
>
> http://sxp.sourceforge.net/

Good find. It looks very similar to how I do it(which IMHO is cool :) ). It uses expat which is fast, small and crossplatform. I might even consider replacing my own code with this. Without any formal testing based on the docs I read it looks like a good find...

Without harping on too much the reason this is cool is that simulator-editor type applications like Juice would be an excellent place to create new vehicles \ contraptions for your engine, all you do then is load the ODE XML file in to your engine to recreate the ODE Object.

I guess the only part we're missing is the Control Interface Mapping. For example how do we indicate how your code should use the ODE object. If it's a wheeled vehicle you might have a turn left \ right \ forwards \ backwards requirement, but a hovercraft would also need strafe controls. How do you know how to manipulate the object to do this as the designer of the object intended. Should the ODE file even contain this information.

I see it as a bit iffy as to wether this info should even be in an ODE file or not as it's usage dependent. If this information is stored in attributes it'll be easier to ignore in applications that don't use it. How do we define common control interfaces while remaining generic?

Does any of this make any sense?

Chris

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Bank.