[ODE] Steering and rolling wheels

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Feb 14 11:44:01 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Sergio Casas Yrurzum wrote:

> It seems not to be that. Seems something about friction because I've set the
> rear wheels geometries as spheres instead of capped cylinders and works
> better. Not using AddRelTorque( ) improves it too.

Could it be that the capped cylinders didn't have their axis pointing the
direction you thought they did?  A cap cyl is almost spherical if the
length is small relative to the diameter... if the collision hull on the
wrong axis, that would enable it to roll, but with a bump every
half-rotation of the wheel.

And if your drawing functions don't have the same axes as the ODE bodies,
it might look "correct" the whole time.  I learned that the hard way. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA